Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

24usedtorock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
neh11_wow.gif

"Test "Mule" was the Nehalem Mac Pro 8-core running at 2.93GHz (12G of RAM)."

From what I understand, the above configuration could actually slow down frame-rate because it is unnecessary extra hardware?

Would frame-rate improve slightly by using a Quad-Core Mac Pro with 6GB of RAM, or am I not understanding?

(And assuming this is on OSX, but you can answer both ways).

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
neh11_wow.gif

"Test "Mule" was the Nehalem Mac Pro 8-core running at 2.93GHz (12G of RAM)."

From what I understand, the above configuration could actually slow down frame-rate because it is unnecessary extra hardware?

Would frame-rate improve slightly by using a Quad-Core Mac Pro with 6GB of RAM, or am I not understanding?

(And assuming this is on OSX, but you can answer both ways).

I've never heard of extra hardware (e.g. extra cores, memory, etc.) slowing down a game!? :confused:

10THzMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I think a more reasoned response is called for. It is perfectly possible for a piece of software that uses one part of the hardware to be slowed down by the overhead of using other hardware that the particular software does not employ. I was just playing with some Cuda apps over the weekend with one and two 285 GPUS in my Mac Pro, and the Mac 285 would do over 100,000 calcs in a fixed time on its own, but just over 80,000 when in a pair. Of course the other card was also doing 80,000, so that the total was 160,000, but there was clearly an overhead in just managing two groups. I think it is possible for an app that does not use more than one group of cores to be slowed down by the presence of another group. If something is well written it is unlikely to happen but I do not think this is a stupid question.

Cuda

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
It would be worth some benchmarking, to find out, as the Quad Mac Pro is not even the same CPU as the DQ.

Also, the Quad is not sharing board resources with another Chip, so it could benefit from greater bandwidth etc.

RobArt?

24usedtorock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
It would be worth some benchmarking, to find out, as the Quad Mac Pro is not even the same CPU as the DQ.

Also, the Quad is not sharing board resources with another Chip, so it could benefit from greater bandwidth etc.

RobArt?

I think a more reasoned response is called for. It is perfectly possible for a piece of software that uses one part of the hardware to be slowed down by the overhead of using other hardware that the particular software does not employ. I was just playing with some Cuda apps over the weekend with one and two 285 GPUS in my Mac Pro, and the Mac 285 would do over 100,000 calcs in a fixed time on its own, but just over 80,000 when in a pair. Of course the other card was also doing 80,000, so that the total was 160,000, but there was clearly an overhead in just managing two groups. I think it is possible for an app that does not use more than one group of cores to be slowed down by the presence of another group. If something is well written it is unlikely to happen but I do not think this is a stupid question.

Thanks guys.

How about testing it barefeats, (or anyone with the "entry level" 2009 Mac Pro :p).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.