Question about battery calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blu101, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

The apple procedure says to charge battery 100%, leave it plugged in 2 hours min, then unplug and use until it goes to sleep (due to low battery power), wait 5 hours min, then re-charge to 100% and you're done.

well, I charged to 100% and left it plugged in for 2 hours, then unplugged it but the battery outlasted me last night. It had ~30% or so when I turned the MBP off to hit the sack. Do I have to start all over today when I turn it back on, or can I just keep going along the procedure?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can repeat the battery calibration anytime, but next time, don't turn it off, leave it running and running and let it go to sleep itself after the battery is almost empty. Then it takes about five hours to use the remaining charge to fully drain the battery.

Apple on notebook batteries

Apple Portable: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Laptop Battery Guide

3. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

By turning it off last night, did I disrupt the calibration procedure?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as by turning it off, the battery is not used, as nothing needs to be powered. And there is no real need to power down the laptop every day, just put it to sleep, it consumes 1% battery capacity per hour of sleep if disconnected from an AC power source. And you can leave the Mac connected to the power while it sleeps.

Read the bolded links by GGJstudios (1st and 3rd post in this thread) I provided, as they are full of information.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

5. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I did, thanks. I'll also check out the new ones you just posted. Learning as best I can, 1st apple ever!

My current living situation forces me to store the mbp in a drawer overnight and while at work, ~18 hours off duty at a time M-F, and I can't leave it plugged in in the drawer. I also don't want to type in my password every time it sleeps/screen saver comes on, but I want password protection on startup, so all of this is why I turn it ON/OFF.

Thanks for the help.:)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can set it to require a password to wake it from sleep or screensaver. Then use Caffiene to keep it from going to sleep and simply set the screensaver before you go to sleep. See the link to Caffiene in the FAQ link spinnerlys posted, at the end of the Calibration section.

7. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Cool tip :thumbsup: