Question about Battery Health

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by teerexx52, May 10, 2016.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I just purchased an open box 2015 Macbook from Best Buy. Really good deal. It appeared to have 7 battery cycles on it and 95% Battery Health. I was wondering if the 2016 models show the same quick decline in battery health as the 2015 Models do. Any information would be appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

My 2016 MB is at 97.6% with 9 cycles, and it started with ~102% when I got it. The health can fluctuate, though, as the battery calibrates itself, so at 95% I wouldn't worry yet. If it drops below 90% after a few dozen cycles and there's a clear decline trend then you should be worried and contact Apple.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Honestly I wouldn't worry about obessively checking battery health. It'll just put you in a negative frame of mind as there will always be some degradation with lithium technology, and seeing the 'health' plummet over time will only fuel paranoia and impede the enjoyment of your machine.

Just use it as you normally would. If battery life is bad through normal usage, then you should check the health to see if there's an issue, or take it to Apple.

4. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

9 cycles and 99% health on my 2016.....

The two lemon 2015 Macbooks I had from Best Buy had 0% battery charge on them.......a battery killer.

5. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I think I aM going to return it. Also lost two months of AppleCare as it was originally purchased in March