Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philfry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I have a MBP 13" (Mid-2010) and I've read several different opinions on keeping the battery in the best condition. Many suggest that even with the unibody MBP to calibrate the battery by discharging it the whole way and re-charging it. I typically keep mine plugged in and have only used 51 cycles in 2 years and mine says 88%.

Is there any proof that keeping it plugged in with the unibody MBPs has a detrimental effect on the battery life? Should I stop leaving the power plugged in 24/7?

If you calibrate your unibody MBP then how often do you do this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there any proof that keeping it plugged in with the unibody MBPs has a detrimental effect on the battery life? Should I stop leaving the power plugged in 24/7?
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time.
If you calibrate your unibody MBP then how often do you do this?
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.