Question about battery life for new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badlydrawnboy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I have a 13" 1.3 Ghz i5 Macbook Air. I regularly get 11-12 hours of battery life. The new MBP advertises 10 hours of battery life. If it really does get 10 hours, that's probably enough for me in most cases, but if it's more like 9 hours I'd be inclined to keep my Macbook Air.

How accurate has Apple been in battery life estimates for its most recent MBPs?

2. RoskO macrumors member

I'd say stick with the air, I noticed too that the battery life was left out of the presentation, this is exactly what I've said in previous posts, the only way they can really reduce weight is to cut battery size.

The new 13" retina has a 46-watt-hour battery with touch bar, 56whr without touch bar
    By comparison, the 2015 (old) 13" retina had a 74.9-watt-hour battery.

The new 15" retina has a 76whr battery
    The old 15" used to have a 99.5whr battery

This to me seems like a huge drop, the new skylake platform is more efficient but my gut feeling tells me the new systems will get the same if not a little less battery life than the 2015 (old) versions.

They sure saved that 1/2 lb though :).

3. leman macrumors 604

Usually, Apple is fairly honest in their battery tests. Reviews usually get similar or sometimes even higher results in their tests. But of course we won't really know until they are properly tested.

4. roop27 macrumors member

5. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone. It's a tough choice... there are a number of appealing features in the new MBP, but I'm not sure if they're worth a 1-2 hour (or more) drop in battery life.

6. fyun89 macrumors 6502

Official 2015 rmbp has rated browsing time of 9 hours and 2016 one has 10 hours. I have 2012 rmbp, and during the first two years, it beated official battery life rating (5 hrs at the time, got 6-7 doing light browser and word processing, ppt). Expect to get a bit more than official one, unless you do intense works.