Question about battery run down once a a month

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tazz3, Sep 10, 2013.

1. tazz3 macrumors regular

Hi all, apple say to run the battery run down once a month and fully charge it how far should I let it drain 5 to 7 percent thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Run it down til it dies. Though I can't say that this is the biggest of life savers, I generally charge up stuff up overnight if they're around 20% at bedtime.

3. tazz3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I will let it go to 1 percent I hate doing it lol

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Like I said, don't put too much weight on running the battery down. The only time I would stress this is in the first few months of owning a new piece of hardware. After that, it really doesn't matter that much.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If your intention is to follow Apple's instructions you need to run it down, to zero. As in it drains and shuts itself off. 100-0 with no charging of any kind is the preference. But that isn't always achievable unless you can do something like fire up Netflix/pandora for hours with the auto lock on never.

More important than this, which is handy, is to make sure you turn it off periodically (once a week is fine for most) cause that's when it dumps garbage. And take it off the charger. Running any rechargeable battery connected to power all the time will kill it faster than anything else.

Also watch for how fast it drains. If you aren't getting at least 3/4 Apple's up to amounts you might want to check your settings, etc cause something could be running your battery down quickly and you'll consume your battery fast. And a consumed battery is not covered under warranty.

----------

Yeah seems like that first month with the iOS devices is really the only major time. I go for one full drain out in the first few days then if possible once more during the next couple of weeks. After that I really only bother with it after a full restore, since it seems like it's more to condition the software than the battery and the related data was just cleared.