Question about Battery.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Archiveer, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Archiveer macrumors newbie

I am looking into getting one of the new macbook pro's. Though I must say the non removable battery does concern me a bit. In past laptops I have had, I without a doubt saw increased battery wear and tear when I left the batter in the laptop while the laptop itself was plugged in. I completly destroyed a battery on my Dell laptop by doing this for about a month when it was asking as a desktop. IO took the laptop which used to get around 4 hrs of battery life and then after a month it got no more than 15 minutes.

So after that I always took the battery out, so now with the new macbook pro's you cannot take the batteries out, so wont the batteries wear down to nothing faster than if you took them out when not using them?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you don't discharge a battery every once in a while it's going to lose capacity, but Apple claims the new batteries will last the average user a very long time.

3. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

I agree with Miles. I use my MBP plugged in all the time, but I do from time to time run it down to different levels near completely discharged, and then let it charge back up next time. No Probs at all. I use Coconut to monitor the battery, and I'm showing higher battery charge level, and higher charge capacity than the "Original Battery" Levels.
    My MBP is about 6 mos. old and has the removable battery. It shows I've cycled the battery 19 times. Hope this helps.

4. ncdasa macrumors member

I think it may still be removable...

You should look into the new battery a bit more, i think it is still removable. I saw a picture on another thread w/ the new MBP opened from the back and it showed the hdd the ram and the batt. The hdd has this little plastic tab for removing it when you want to change the drive. But i was surprised to see that the batt. has the same plastic tab. It looked pretty simple and i dont see what would be so unremovable about it.

I also read another thread were someone says that it is "removable" but not "user replaceable". They explained that even though it wouldnt be very hard for someone to remove and replace a batt. themself they cant because replacement batterys are not being sold by mac (hence the "non user-replaceable" status). But then someone else said that if this is the case its only be a matter of time before the replacement.batt is available, just like with mac air.

At any rate even if you cant replace them yourself but you can still remove them, (which iam pretty sure you can) then your problem is still solved.

But finally, (and really iam not a computer person so i cant be sure about what iam saying), i think you should also check into to wether it is still good to run a batt. out from time to time to extend its life. I was told this when i bought my macbook and i followed it , but then my battery ended up dying out sooner then i expected. I was then told that newer batteries arent like that and working them like that just runs down their capacity and cycle count. They can be plugged in as much as possible and will just last longer because their cycles remain. if any knows more about this and can confirm it then please post something more authoritative.

also the new batteries have "adaptive charging" so all new rules may apply but from what i understand that probably just supports the above idea.

hope any of that helps