Question about best buy and student discounts...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

My nearest Best Buy sells Macs, and I just noticed an ad that says there's no interest on anything $999 or up for 2 years. I just want to know if I could get the student discount on a Macbook there and get the free iPod too... I don't really care about the iPod, but I would like the student discount.

2. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

i doubt they do unless they have their own student discount. doesn't hurt to ask. and i also highly doubt they'll give you a free ipod.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

No and no.

I think the only places to get a "student discount" is at Apple.com, Apple store (maybe?) and it used to be at a college campus reseller.

4. rubberball macrumors newbie

Per the "Back to School" Terms and Conditions for free iPod:

"Products must be purchased from the Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, an Apple Retail Store, Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. Qualifying orders from the Apple Online Store or Apple Telesales that are placed during the promotion and ship after the offer ends are eligible."

http://images.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS08_TCS.pdf

Best Buy does not offer student discounts.

Might check with your financial aid office to see what loan options they have if the cash up front is a problem.

5. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

When I bought my MacBook Pro at BestBuy, we talked to the manager and he gave me the educational discount and 2 free years of financing when the deal then was only 6 months. It's worth a try to ask and just tell them that you'll just go to an Apple store and they might re-think that. haha Hope that helps!

6. rubberball macrumors newbie

Good work Stove! Best Buys out where I am are terrible and they will hardly process a legitimate return let alone give you a discount!:cool:

7. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

OUCH! I hate it when the little teenagers who know nothing about technology are so ignorant and have no idea about anything. I just ignore them! But good luck next time!

8. JohnnyRules macrumors newbie

The best buy's I've been to say that they will give you a $200 gift card that acts like a "student discount" instead of the free iPod touch. Your's may be different, so call and ask.

9. G5power macrumors 6502

If at all possible I would buy direct from Apple or a college bookstore. You will not have to suffer through the terrible service that Best Buy offers in the event of a return or any problems.

Also if you have a college ID, check your local college bookstores for deals.
    For example locally they have previous generation 17 inch MBP (2.4 GHz, 2 GB, 160 GB drive) for $1499. Plus you are eligible for the $300 iPod rebate.

On the desktop side 20 inch 2.4 GHz iMacs for $899.