Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nnmr

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
Used to work for Geek Squad. The condition will be new/like new. Anything less than that can't be sold as open box. Warranty functions as if you were buying the product new, so you will have a full year, unless your purcahsed applecare or best buys protection plan. Can't really speak to the square trade question. Hope this helps.

I just bought an iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB Geek Squad Certified Open Box in Dec 22, 2018. Here is what I found when received it:

- the box looked old, dirty and used. The plastic wrapper around the iPad was some shopping plastic bag, not the original one. Other accessories were not wrapped and looked used
- checking with Apple support showed that
+ the original buy date was 3 months ago, around Aug. 2018
+ Phone support: EXPIRED
+ Warranty estimated expiry date: Aug. 18 2019. So, the manufacture warranty is only 8 months instead of the full one year.
+ I ran some battery health app and it said Wear level of 35%. Very high!

pth231

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
I just bought an iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB Geek Squad Certified Open Box in Dec 22, 2018. Here is what I found when received it:

- the box looked old, dirty and used. The plastic wrapper around the iPad was some shopping plastic bag, not the original one. Other accessories were not wrapped and looked used
- checking with Apple support showed that
+ the original buy date was 3 months ago, around Aug. 2018
+ Phone support: EXPIRED
+ Warranty estimated expiry date: Aug. 18 2019. So, the manufacture warranty is only 8 months instead of the full one year.
+ I ran some battery health app and it said Wear level of 35%. Very high!
So return it instead of complaining on the internet. I was speaking from an in store aspect.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I bought my 2016 MacBook a couple years back as a Best Buy open box in the store. Apparently someone had opened it, realized they didn’t want the black one, and returned it. It was brand new and I talked them down to about $750. It’s been a wonderful laptop since.

citan

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2014
I bought my 2016 MacBook a couple years back as a Best Buy open box in the store. Apparently someone had opened it, realized they didn’t want the black one, and returned it. It was brand new and I talked them down to about $750. It’s been a wonderful laptop since.

are prices negotiable on open box items in store stock?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Ya never know until ya try sad.gif

Lou

Reactions: Boyd01

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
are prices negotiable on open box items in store stock?
They had it at $800; I talked them down to $750 because it was missing the extension cable for the power supply. I have a million of 'em at home, so it was no loss to me, and the manager approved it in a heartbeat. I think it had been sitting there for a while; the inspection sticker on it was from about a month earlier.

Reactions: citan

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
They had it at $800; I talked them down to $750 because it was missing the extension cable for the power supply. I have a million of 'em at home, so it was no loss to me, and the manager approved it in a heartbeat. I think it had been sitting there for a while; the inspection sticker on it was from about a month earlier.
Apple doesn’t include extension cables, and hasn’t included them, with any of the USB-C Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.