Question about blocking someone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ah3314, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ah3314 macrumors newbie

My boyfriend and I both have an iPhone 6.

We blocked his ex-girlfriend through both the privacy settings on the phone, and also through Verizon.

This morning we woke up to a text from her. I'm very confused because she is STILL blocked through the phone and also because this gal has an android phone, so the block through the provide should have prevented this.

Does anyone know how this was able to happen?
    Do I need to worry about the integrity of my privacy settings or was this a fluke?

Thanks!

PS. If you know any other pertinent information on blocking someone that I may not know, please share. Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The text came in under her number or she text you from a different number or maybe one of those online text message places?
    What number did it show it came from when you go to message details?

3. techspin macrumors 6502a

Did he tell you he blocked her? Or maybe it was another girl he didn't tell you about. :D

4. ah3314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, same girl

5. ah3314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so both the text itself as well as the message details looked normal. The text appeared under her contact name and when you went into the details from there it gave her phone number and the option to "unblock this caller."

I did check the phone bill and the number appears on there as a received text from her (her number).

I did double check that the number she used was accurately logged with Verizon - which is was, and therefor should not have been able to get delivered.

Also, he doesn't have access to unblock her through the provider so I know she's been blocked for over 6 months.

6. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

maybe she was using her apple id instead of her actual number to iMessage you?

7. ah3314 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I explained in my original post - she has an android phone.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Technically she could still have an Apple ID and use iMessage through it. That said, it sounds like it was a regular SMS message since it was listed on your carrier's billing/usage information (given that iMessages wouldn't show up there).

9. ah3314 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, if she did use an Apple ID (even though she has an android) would this allow her to bypass the block through Verizon and the block on the cell phone?

What I'm trying to do is understand how this happened and prevent future messages from people who are blocked.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, there might have been more possibilities to consider if iMessage could have been involved as well, but since you saw the message reflected in your carrier billing/usage information, it seems that iMessage wasn't involved and it was SMS. Carrier blocking, assuming active and associated with that specific number, should have stopped it. And blocking on iOS side of things, again assuming active for messaging and for that specific number, should have further caught it if the carrier somehow passed it along as well. If all those things were for a fact active and associated with the correct number and it still got through, then it's somewhat of a mystery that two different unrelated services would fail like that.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why don't you just contact the police if she is harassing you both?

12. laudern macrumors 6502a

Post her phone number up on this forum...I'm sure there will be plenty of guys on a forum like this looking for a desperate girl like that. :eek:

13. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

Either both carrier block and ios block failed, or you're missing something. Which seems more likely to you.

Think like a third party, that is to say, honestly.

14. LucasEVille macrumors regular

LucasEVille

This. And change your number, simple fix.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I would not consider changing my phone number a "simple fix":mad:

16. ah3314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Changing my phone number would make life a nightmare.

Also, calling the police is not as easy a fix as it seems. First, it's unwanted contact, but it isn't harassing communications. Secondly, I don't like involving my personal life with my professional life.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Calling the police is the simplest and easiest fix.
    You dont have to press charges or get a restraining no contact order but usually a phone call from the police dept will straighten out the situation and the person wont call any more.
    Most of the times even telling that person that you will contact the police will make them knock it off so worth a try.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Agreed. If it really comes down to something like that, there is one sort of in-between type of option of using something like Google Voice where you can perhaps port your number to Google Voice and have that forward to whatever phone number you actually have on your phone, this way all calls will go as normal, but because they are going through Google Voice first you can do some blocking there.