Question about Bluetooth with 3.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rickjames8, May 31, 2009.

1. rickjames8 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just bought a iTouch 8GB. The main reason I bought it was because I had read somewhere it had bluetooth and wanted to link it to my Nokia phone with GPRS. Aparently, it doesn't - oops. I don't need anything faster than GPRS - just to check mail and weather. I travel to some really remote places, but my GPRS almost always works.

Theres a lot of talk about this new $9.99 OS 3.0 upgrade enabling the bluetooth. However, all the talk seems to centered around using it for wireless headphones and music. Will it be enabled for internet data transfer as well?? I'm surprised not to hear it mentioned, as it seems data transfer would be a much more valuable tool than just eliminating the wires to your headphones. ? :) But perhaps I'm just in the minority thinking that.

If anyone knows more about what you'll be able to do with OS 3.0 bluetooth, please let me know.

Thanks
    -Rick
    www.travelhead.com

2. theimacdude macrumors member

theimacdude

Well first off I give no sympathy about you believing the iPod Touch has Bluetooth, you should checked from a trusted source like Apple. Secondly, I've never heard of an OS Upgrade that enables Bluetooth...

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

One would hope so but I doubt it. A normal device will allow data transfer but the Touch using only iTunes to move things may not.

I'm sure Air Sharing or other apps. may benefit from Bluetooth. And it has been confirmed there is non-active Bluetooth in the 2nd Gen.

4. P140897 macrumors member

3.0 OS Coming out in one week and 2 days does

5. rickjames8 thread starter macrumors newbie

i wasnt asking for sympathy, simply advice. :) by the way, living in a country where you don't speak the language fluently does have some setbacks. a salesman in a different shop confirmed it had bluetooth (wtf?) but i bought it elsewhere for the better price, leaving me in a pickle, but one i will try to find a solution to.

check out this article:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/2g-ipod-touch-to-have-bluetooth-capability-unlocked-by-iphone-os/
    if you google "ipod touch bluetooth" you'll find a lot of articles and some random posts, but its mostly about people wanting to get wireless headphones. this i really dont get. its an ipod, right? it fits in your pocket, right? whats the problem with having wires from it to your ears?

-rick

6. Wishsong macrumors regular

Now that would be so awesome, yet stupid at the same time (if the ipod touch could link with your phone to get internet anywhere). Because instead of doing that, just make the iphone available to all companies....

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The iPod-Touch-has-bluetooth debate was sparked by the Nike+ receiver integration being what looked like a broadcom combination wifi-bluetooth chipset. But if Chloe O'Brian can reconfigure the radio on Jack Bauer's sprint phone on the fly so he can listen to the terrorists' walkie talkies, anything is possible right?

I won't hold my breath for bluetooth. I wouldn't be shocked to see it in the next revision, but then I wouldn't be surprised either to see it limited in function, no GSM modem scripts allowed.

8. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

If you have a 2G, then it will have bluetooth activated after the 3.0 software comes out. I don't think internet data transfer will work though.