Question about Boom volume equalizer app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HarryWarden, Aug 5, 2013.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

If I use it on a specific video file to boost the volume and then transfer that file to a USB drive to be played on my Roku 3 player, will the volume still be boosted?

2. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Without knowing how Boom works, I am guessing no. I believe 'permanent' edits like that require reencoding.

3. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried it and it didn't seem like the volume was boosted any vs. the original file. How does it work on my Mac to boost the volume but doesn't transfer? The App Store description mentions using it to boost volume for use with the iPad.

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I haven't used this feature but I'm fairly certain that it does re-encode the file. The feature requests that you specify which file to boost, and then offers to add it to iTunes once it's complete. The normal volume and equalizer settings are system-wide, so these settings wouldn't be necessary if it weren't doing a re-encode, I would think.

Note that to boost the volume you must adjust the volume slider. The default position for the volume slider doesn't seem to correspond with what you have Boom set to at that particular moment (which makes sense - different systems and speakers have different "native" volumes). It seems that you could use this feature to decrease the volume of a file, as well.