Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
how do i use it? i have no idea what i am doing so forgive me. i just got my mac last night and need to run xp for some programs. i tried loading the xp disc and rebooting and it did nothing. is bootcamp already on here with a fresh install of leopard or do i install it somewhere? is that program "fusion" better than boootcamp?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I just checked on mine and the Bootcamp assistant is in there, if it is missing you probably accidentally moved it somewhere, so try using spotlight to search for it.

adjei7

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
not in there. any other suggestions?

Maybe a stupid question, but you say you just got your mac. Can I assume that you got it brand new, hence 10.5.x leopard? Or is it second hand in which case it may be Tiger (10.4.x), the one before?

If You have Tiger, it doesnt come as standard, so it wont be in there unless someone installed it there for you. Otherwise if it's leopard, then the other guys are right and it should be there, unless you or someone else accidentally moved it or got rid of it.

K

skep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
its a g5 i got used. had tiger and upgraded to leopard. from what i hear, boot camp only works with the new macs. with the intel processors. is this correct? i just downloaded a copy of FUSION 1.1 . i hear thats a good program. can anyone fill me in on that one? any ups or downs or anything i should be careful with before trying?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The only way to run Windows on a non intel Mac is to use Virtual PC which is painfully slow, VMware Fusion won't work on a G5 because it requires an intel processor.

skep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
oh well ill go with virtual pc. cant be too bad. i wont be on windows too often anyways

thanks for every1s help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.