question about boot up sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jetjaguar, Nov 24, 2009.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

my laptop no longer makes the boot up sound that all apples make .. any idea on how to fix that ? all i hear is the hard drive noise when it first turns on

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The normal way to get the boot sound muted is if you mute your machine before restarting it. Is your sound muted on your laptop?

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If it's not the sound level, reset the PRAM (which will reset the volume, but you'll be able to know if it's an actual issue or not).

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

How do I do that

6. Nanookfan macrumors member

Reboot your Mac
    Hold down Command (Apple) + Option (Alt) + P + R
    When you have heard the chime for the second time, release the keys and the Mac will boot as normal

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you can't hear the chime, you should be able to recognize the optical drive sound or hard drive sound, or fan resetting in your computer as it boots up. What until you hear them a second time then release. 3 times is OK, 4 or more is getting into the potentially damaging range (though I've never had an issue before, you're just not supposed to).

However, you should hear the chime kick in during the process if it isn't another issue.

8. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Are you sure that the sound isn't just very low. I have my sound set to 2 bars and I can just barely hear the startup sound. This is under Snow Leopard. In the past Apple used to have the startup sound the same volume regardless of the volume you set your computer to but I'm glad that Apple has now made the startup sound adjust according to how loud we set the volume. I now always know when I left my volume too loud on shut down because the startup sound is very loud when I do so.

9. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

it was the volume .. weird it didnt do this pre-sl .. thanks

10. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Yes, like I said Apple changed it. I much prefer it this way though. :)