Question about boot up?...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kal-037, May 27, 2015.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I got my new rMBP yesterday and set it up last night, I shut it down then when I turned on it booted up and the white apple logo appeared like normal then vanished for half a second then reappeared and loaded up Yosemite right after. It was about 7 seconds to boot time like usual, but just wondering if the apple logo vanishing for that split second is an issue. Thanks. :)

sorry for the weird question, I just spent a bit on this computer and want to make sure it works like it should. *first world problems. lol

Kal.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty sure mine does something similar, but I'm at work and I'm not able to double check.

3. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Thanks, do you think if you get time after work you could check on it? If not, no worries. :)
    Thanks again.

4. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

OKay new issue, when watching YT videos or surfing the web the MB gets really really warm (hot) the fans are on for the majority of the time and are loud. Is it a Yosemite issue or did I get a probelmatice MBP?
    Thanks again for any help.

Kal.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

What browser are you using? Is Adobe flash content loaded on the webpages your using?

I'd advise against using Chrome. I use safari and since I do use some flash content, I use ClickToFlash to prevent it from loading unless I click on it.

6. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

I only use safari. Would watching 4k videos on YT cause it to get warm? I watched about 4-5 4k videos then some other 1080p vids and did a little surfing.
    Am I just being paranoid?

Kal.

7. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Can you install istatpro and report temps and fan speeds? Also does it switch to dedicated when watching 4K videos?

8. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Edit: I'm so stupid IT WAS watching the 4k that caused it. I don't know why that didn't connect with me. Now back to the minor issue (well just a question about the boot up thing) anyone else have the boot up logo appear then vanish for like half of a second? (Literally half or less of a second, then it loaded Yosemite's desktop all still in 7 seconds.)
    Again it's no big deal, I'm just curious if anyone lose had seen this. :)

9. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

My old MBP used to do it and it did do it every time but since it had a 7200RPM HDD, it took about a minute.

Do you feel the system is generally quite? I see many people say it's loud but no body mentions that maybe the dGPU is active. My concern is if it's on the iGPU and just browsing the web (safari) and doing pages and stuff will heat up the machine and fans running loud

10. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

The fan did kick on and was fairly loud last night... but it got just as loud as my 2014 did, I didn't watch 4k on my last MBP so I never noticed the fans coming on for that reason. The 2014 kicked up when I did some photo editing and iMovie, which I imagine the 2015 will do.
    When actually using the 2015; just surfing the net and doing just regular (non-intensive stuff) I didn't notice the fans at all. So despite my small worries (that really were just nothing) this is a solid machine and updated MBP. The SSD speed and load times are insanely fast. I got 1500 write and 1800 Read. The Force Trackpad is great and the dGPU is powerful. :)

Kal.

11. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Oh ok thanx for that. I don't know if i need the dGPU or not. As I've said before I only do CAD software on VM once in a while and people say the iGPU can handle it but with student discount, the dGPU is actually costing me only 40$. I'm just worried about fan noise. I want a quite machine and don't want a dgpu creating heat but seems like it's not that bad.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

When I shut my 2015 13" rMBP down and start it up again, here is the boot sequence:

Chime
    Blank screen for about half a second
    Apple logo for a few seconds
    Yosemite login window

I have FileVault 2 enabled, so I have to type my password at this point. It takes another 10-ish seconds to decrypt and finish booting.

To be totally honest, I doubt there is a problem with your computer. Try opening System Preferences > Startup Disk and click on the drive you want to start from.

13. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

I did an SMC reset for the fans (Apple said try that.) I have the one drive that I re-installed OSX on and I have that as my start-up. I am thinking when I go to boot him up again tonight he'll be fine. I might try a NVRAM reset or what you suggested if it keeps bugging me. Thanks for all the help and suggestions BTW. :)

Kal.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If File Vault isn't enabled on yours, that could be the reason we're seeing differences. I haven't tried booting Yosemite without it enabled. The last Mac I owned, which I gave away 2 years ago, was only running Mountain Lion.

15. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Yeah, I don't run Filevault, so that might be it. Thanks again :)

Kal.

16. Kal-037, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015

Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

*Edit...

So the whole "boot issue" I was wondering about (with the Apple logo appearing one second then disappearing... then re-appearing just before loading into Yosemite) ... Yeah it turns out it's normal for the new 15" models. I tried it on another model in store and it did the same thing. I don't notice any slow down or hindrance of my system whatsoever and the boot up still only takes about 5 seconds. I wonder if this is due to the huge increase in SSD speed. I almost wonder if Yosemite is just not ready to handle the new Flash speed? ;) lol

Kal.