Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I know Bootcamp is only beta. Does that mean you will have to pay for it one day? I know it will be incorporated into leopard but can you just keep bootcamp alone?

BugsBunny

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
i read that it is going to be included standard on Leopard, so I'm guessing you'll never have to pay for it (at least, clearly...it may be included in the "price" of leopard...)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
We don't know yet. Historically, there isn't much of a track record. iChat AV was available for Jaguar for a small fee, but I can't think of any other instance of them offering "pieces" of a new OS.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Will Bootcamp slows down the computer performance (i.e. using windows for 3d CAD stuff). I'm getting the new MBP 2.4 with the 160GB 7200 rpm hard drive etc. 50/50 for windows/OS X, is that a good idea? Suggestions?
No, because only one OS is running at a time, it's like having two separate computers. ...People only run into problems when they don't make one partition big enough (which will slow the computer down), but since you're configuring each partition to 80 GB, that won't be a problem.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Slightly offtopic but if you upgrade your OS to Leopard will this affect anything like will all your files/Windows be there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.