Question about bricking...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bkingtu83, Oct 14, 2010.

1. bkingtu83 macrumors member

What are usually the common factors behind an ios device bricking when its jailbroken? Is it something in the jailbreaking process, installed themes/apps, incorrect ssh? Just a general knowledge question

Thanks for the input

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Short of hardware failure it's not possible to 'brick' an iphone.

3. bkingtu83 thread starter macrumors member

ok

i guess what im getting at is what usually causes people to have to restore their phones after they jailbreak it?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Usually bad or buggy packages, incompatibilities with other programs installed, installing packages that are not yet updated for the current iOS your phone is on, SSH into the iphone filesystem and editing files or folder that you're not supposed to etc....

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Depends on the persons experience and knowledge. They can screw things up through SSH and are unable to figure out how to fix it requiring a restore. While it might be fixable by someone with more experience. Installing bad packages from cydia can cause it. Again someone who knows what they are doing can fix most problems via SSH.

The point I'm getting at is that most things can be fixed if you know what your doing. Most people find it easier to restore then to trouble shoot the problem.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I only remember having to restore three times. Twice it was due to Cydia updates, one of which was mobile substrate and the third time I lost my unlock and never understood why.