Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Hi,

If i have airport extreme which is built into the imacs (im getting the 24") would it affect my broadband connection on the imac if i had it connected to the net?

I do not have a router, we only have this pc connected to the web right now but tomorrow I'm getting another pc to tinker around with for a class, but if this was also connected to the web on a wireless connection, would the entire network (including the imac) have the wireless speed have the same number of megabytes per second?

Sorry if you dont understand. Its just i dont understand about the airport extreme being built in - i thought i needed a router if i were to have wireless. Thanks!:eek:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The iMac, has Airport built in so it can talk to a wireless router, also as long as the computer is on you can share your internet connection from the ethernet port on your Mac onto wireless for other people to access.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
You can even user Mac itself like a wireless router of sorts ("software base station"), sharing its Internet connection with other machines wirelessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.