Question about Bumper Cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hexomega, Jun 16, 2013.

1. hexomega macrumors newbie

So when buying a bumper case, is there anything you can buy separately to cover the back of the iPhone? Some bumper cases come with them, but others do not. I know it's a silly question, but I was really considering the 4th Design Type 3 bumper case and it doesn't cover the back in any photos.

[​IMG]

2. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Well, it's a bumper... If you want the back covered get a regular case. You can always use a clear skin for the back.

3. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

4. hexomega thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the bumper cases don't come with them, I was just wondering if there was a slim back plate (like the screen protectors for the front) I could buy.

5. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

Yeah you can buy rear protectors from most local phone shops, try www.zagg.com they do decent front and rear protectors:)

6. STiNG Operation, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

This is what I'm going to pick up once I find a good bumper.

http://www.elementcase.com/Ultrasuede-iPhone-5-Back-Plate-p/api5-1001-x0u0.htm

$80 for the type-3? That's way too much though. I used to think those cnc/machined bumpers were worth it but they get nicked up easy and trap a lot particles inside. Bought an atomic industries for my old 4 for $100 and regretted it.

7. Augustine864 macrumors regular

I just ordered a wood back for my iphone 5 (I guess its a skin really, but its real wood) from Monolith. I am also looking to add a bumper but I need to find one that will allow for just a little bit (maybe 1mm) of additional thickness.

Let me know what you think of that bumper when you get it. Send me a PM or something.

Also, what is the difference between the "Blade 5" and the "Type 3", both on their website?

8. bwerner25 macrumors member

I got a leather back from valentinegoods.com. It's held up pretty well.

9. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

I second the request to know how it works out when you get it. Most interested in the amount of signal loss.

The difference is best described in this review.
    http://www.gadgetmac.com/reviews/4th-design-t-type-3-aluminum-iphone-5-bumper-case-review.html

10. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Have you checked if this bumper will adversely affect signal strength? It seems like all metal bumpers reduce signal strength by a few dB corresponding to one or two bars of service.

11. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Have you happened to find any bumpers similar to this but like a composite plastic? I would've bought this type 3 right away but cannot have the signal loss.

12. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I don't know if there is a signal loss with this particular one, you'd have to research it. Just wanted to mention that since I thought the aluminum ones were cool and found that almost all of them had issues with signal loss...but they seem to be aware of the problem and some are researching alternative materials, but again I'm not aware of any success stories there.

13. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I don't know why no credit goes to the Element Sector 5 aluminum with some minor composite parts. This case doesn't adversely effect signal. Blanket statements that there is no aluminum case that works are just not correct. I know the cost is prohibitive. Some deal with that by using knockoff copies.

14. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

In gadget macs review of the Type-3 they mentioned very minor signal loss with at most losing one bar of service.