Question About Burned DVD Quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rjhellma, Apr 14, 2009.

1. rjhellma macrumors newbie

I've been burning DVD's for a while now. I started (on Windows) with DVDXCopy and most recently I have been using MacTheRipper and Toast (once I got my new Mac).

I have a lot of movies that I burned a while ago (couple years). These are all on regular DVD-R discs. I have recently been using DL discs b/c the majority of movies are much larger than the 4.7 GB. I don't like compressing my DVD files, so that's why I have chosen to go the DL route.

I know for a fact that when I used to burn with regular DVD-R, then I would compress the files to make it fit. I assume that this degraded the quality and want to make upgrades on these.

I am wondering if there is a way for me to tell the quality of my older DVD-R discs and see if I need to make a better version? I don't want to have to put each and every one of them into my DVD player to see if their quality is alright.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

2. Arizona macrumors newbie

Not sure what you're asking. I thought data recording on a DVD has no compression (unless specifically checked as an option). If it is video you are burning as mpg2 or vobs (resulting in a VIDEO_TS folder on your DVD, you always have a certain quality loss since it is quite poor compression. For viewing on tc screen it is acceptable but that's basically it.

Since it is posted in digital video, I presume you are talking video. Best to always archive that stuff as data, the files being exported from the videoedit software as current settings. That way you keep the best quality in the film as you originally have.

You may also consider archiving on harddisk. It is easier to back-up, simpler and easier to access again. Storage prices of media are similar.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yes, they lost quality.

No, there is no easy way of figuring out which were compressed and which were DVD5's originally.