Question about burned Lion DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphone305, Jul 28, 2011.

1. iphone305 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok I burned Lion on a DVD before I installed it on my MacBook pro. Can I use that DVD to install Lion on any Mac or will it only work on my MacBook?

2. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

It should work on any mac that meets the hardware requirements. However you may want to read up on the licensing agreement. I think that you are allowed to install Lion on any macs that you own or in a family setting. But you wouldn't I don't think for example, be allowed to go around installing it on everyones machines.

3. colour macrumors regular

how did you go about doing that ?

i have already downloaded it from the apps store twice in 7 days, i dont think apple really thought this through.

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Theoretically, you should be able to install it on any computers that are compatible with Lion, but ethically, you shouldn't do that unless you buy a family pack.
    Also, I found that booting from a DVD takes awful amount of time, so go ahead and buy a 8GB USB or SD Card so that you can install Lion using that.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

There is no Lion Family Pack. Per Mac AppStore rules: you can install any software on as many Macs as you own. There is no limit. If you have 3 Macs, you only need to buy Lion once, and you can upgrade all other Macs for free.

It is unethical to buy Lion, then download on your friend's Mac using your Apple ID (which would download for free).

6. stevemiller macrumors 65832

I attempted to burn the .dmg twice using two different brands of disc (both verified fine), but both hung when i tried to boot from them.

so instead i just created a new partition on my drive and restored the dmg to that. after doing a clean install from the custom-made partition, i went back into disk utilities and reclaimed the space. i've backed up the .dmg file itself on my NAS so I can repeat for future reformats without ever having to re-download lion.

it was relatively painless, but still a few extra steps over just burning a dvd, anyone have any ideas why mine kept failing to boot?

7. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

are you sure it hung? it windmills for a loooong time but eventually gets going

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Just burning the installer to a DVD doesn't make it bootable. Unfortunately I don't recall the magic incantation required to make external media bootable; perhaps some other forum participant can chime in...

9. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

10. stevemiller macrumors 65832

i'm no stranger to making bootable disks (in case you're thinking i just burned the dmg file itself, rather than the disk image that it represents; a common mistake, i know!) as well as booting from the cd drive by pressing the 'c' key (or selecting it from the list when you hold down alt). and i know the installer itself was ok, because when i slapped it onto a temporary partition it worked loverly :)

i tried a few times on both my machines and i think i left it as long as 20 mins on one of the attempts.

if it takes much longer than that, it'd actually be the same amount of time it takes to make the restore partition and do the entire install on my ssd :p

anyway, if other people have had success, perhaps there is something wonky with my burner. it was literally the first use of the burner on my new machine, and i didn't bother transferring the dmg file to my old system to try burning from it. either way i'll probably just stick with the dmg route in my case!

thanks for the feedback!

11. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

ahhh I see steve..i had two buddies quit on it....just making sure.