Question about buying a brand new Mac on eBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SteelBlueTJ, Aug 23, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I am looking at possibly getting a brand new sealed Macbook Air and save some money by getting it on eBay. I checked the sellers feedback and everything is good. What i really want to know is about the warranty and Applecare. Since it's brand new would the factory warranty start when I buy it or start whenever it was purchased from Apple from the seller? Also, can I buy Applecare for a brand new mac bought on eBay? Will they honor that? How would that work if I don't know when the original purchase date was? (even though it's still brand new, sealed)?

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

If the seller is not an Apple authorized reseller, then the warranty period begins when that seller bought it. If you buy from an authorized reseller with an eBay account such as MacMall, then it will start once you receive the laptop. And yes, you can buy AppleCare for a Mac purchased on eBay, in fact for any Mac as long as it is within its standard 1-year warranty period.

3. Joeguy macrumors newbie

The previous poster couldn't be more correct to my knowledge. I purchased my computer off eBay for a lower price and bought apple care from eBay separately and I still received full support.