Question about buying a DVD burner & proper software to burn DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Afro1989, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

Alright, since my Mac Mini doesn't have a Superdrive I'm going to need a DVD burner. I was just wondering if there are certain ones out there I should be looking for. After a quick search I found this one by Lacie. Looks decent enough.

Now, after ripping all my dad's home videos with MacTheRipper I am left with a VIDEO_TS and a AUDIO_TS folder. My second question is, is this good software to use for making DVDs out of the files made my MacTheRipper or is there better software out there (what is this Toast I hear about?).

Thanks.

2. txnoob macrumors 6502

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could also look into buying a new SuperDrive for your Mini. You can probably find some decent prices on eBay.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Use DVD Imager for creating a so-called image file (ISO) and burn that ISO with Disk Utility.

That is the free alternative.

I don't know about the DVD Copy software, as the site somehow looks "strange" - reminding me a lot of those spam sites the AI forae got spammed with some months ago. But someone who maybe has that software can give you a better answer

If you pay for software, then use Toast, as it can do a lot of things with DVDs (burning data, mp3s, video, making Video DVDs, ...), but the Roxio homepage will have enough info on that.

And btw, MacTheRipper just copied the structure of the DVD (and removed some copy protection) to your hard drive. The Video_TS folder also exists on the DVD in the same manner.

5. Afro1989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlueRevolution, I rather just buy a burner so I can use it on my parents' Mac.

Is Toast the best software to burn DVD's from the VIDEO_TS folder?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I agree, I get a bad vibe from the site. VersionTracker lists a lot of apps by that developer, but none of them seem to be particularly popular and there are no reviews at all. The awards at the bottom of the official page are from reviewers I have never heard of.

7. Afro1989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

looks like Toast is the easiest software to use. sorry, I'm a complete noob at burning DVD's.

8. longwood macrumors regular

Toast is extremely easy to use. For burning VIDEO_TS folder, there is an option to burn a "video" dvd. Then there are a list of options on how you want to burn the DVD, one of the options is by choosing a VIDEO_TS folder. Toast has a lot of features and well worth the money IMO.