Question about buying a macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by licensetochill5, Nov 28, 2007.

1. licensetochill5 macrumors newbie

So I decided I'm buying a macbook. I already decided im going to get 2g's of RAM. The next decision is how much internal memory to get. My friend has a 80g macbook but she has already run out of memory. I probably have the same ammount on my computer as her right now. I was going to get the 120gig macbook but now I'm worried that even that would be to small. I'm not sure if it's necessary to go that high up for the extra $100. I pretty much need the memory for music and pictures.

Any suggestions/opinions?

Thanks alot

2. 119576 Guest

Firstly. Memory is RAM, not Hard Disk capacity.

Secondly; Don't buy your RAM from Apple, you can get it much cheaper elsewhere (Crucial.com for example)

As far as hard disk capacity is concerned, you may be best to get the 80GB and buy an external hard drive.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you can get a 250gb drive for 140 or maybe even less now

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

External HDs are very cheap these days, maybe go for one (or several!) of those instead of updating the internal HD?

5. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I filled my 120 GB MacBook in four days, but that's because I use a lot of video.

80GB will be fine for music and pictures, externals are cheap enough these days. I assume you are therefore going for the bottom spec machine with the combo drive rather than the DVD burner?

6. Tshapi macrumors regular

buy the basic specs. if you customize at apple.com you severly restrict your return policy.

7. licensetochill5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I'm buying my computer through my university and they are running a special that you can get a 250GB hard drive for $75. I think I'm going to get the 120gb and get the external.