Question about buying a refurb iPod Touch after WWDC

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dmkemick, May 25, 2008.

1. dmkemick macrumors member

Alright so I'm pretty set on getting an iPod Touch after Steve's keynote at WWDC, but I was thinking of getting a refurb. My question is this - it's assumed that iPod Touches purchased after the App Store is launched will come with it pre-loaded where as current owners will have to pay for the update.

What about refurbs? Will refurbs purchased after WWDC have the app store available, or will I get the refurb and have to buy the app store anyways.

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Well even "new" ipod touches might take a while to get the 2.0 firmware shipped on them, I would assume you would have to buy it on refurbs, but don't take my sole word for it

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Keep in mind that 2.0 probably won't come during WWDC. They said late June. And when Apple says late, they mean late (think iPhone launch, 10.5, etc). Even after the firmware is out, it'll take a while for all of the refurbs to have 2.0. For a while, some of the refurbs didn't have the January software update (last time I checked was late April and they were still not all updated). The ones without the update will fall in price by the cost of the upgrade, though.

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

You might also consider that they have sold both pre- and post updated iPod Touch' in the refurb store, that is, ones with and without the January software update.

The difference is $20 (as one would expect) but I'm surprised that there is enough of a market for the non-updated one that they would have a separate model available...

MacDann