Question about buying a refurbished iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sinphase, Jun 23, 2013.

1. sinphase macrumors newbie

I'm pretty much set on buying the standard 27" iMac configuration, and I'm fine with the current model and feel no need to wait til the Haswell upgrades, as I'll be wanting the iMac for the upcoming school year. But I do want to wait til Apple announces their education event, to see what they're giving away, just to make sure I don't miss out.

My question is, should I buy one asap, before the refurbished standard 27" iMac configuration goes out of stock? Is there a time where they go frequently out of stock?

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The refurbs are usually a goo deal, but I would not be too worried about them going out of stock. Normally there are previous gen. refurbs available well after a new model is released.

3. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I do not have insider information . . . .

It is my opinion that Apple employs the refurbished channel as a tool for inventory control.

Are ALL refurbished items new?

I very much doubt it.

I won't bother with all the details of rationale and reasoning to support my suspicions . . . . .

I would venture that if you order a current iMac (late 2012) on the refurbished side of the Apple Online Store, there is every reason to expect a brand new machine. Yes, it will have "Apple Certified Refurbished" on the box.

I know someone that recently purchased a refurbished iPad.

Serial number indicates their iPad was manufactured in 17th week of 2013; they made the purchase in the 24th week of 2013; FedEx tracking origination was Shenzhen CN.

Those facts make me think/believe that it is a brand new iPad.

It just depends upon how much you can save off a retail price for the system you're looking to purchase, and whether or not taking a chance on getting a refurbished unit is worth the savings. Either way, I recommend AppleCare.

GL :)

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not saying that Apple doesn't ever put new goods in refurb boxes - I have no idea - however ALL Apple refurb products are remanufactured & given new serial numbers so what your friend saw is perfectly normal.