Question about buying an iPhone on release day

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I am on AT&T right now and will be switching to T-Mobile in January. Because of that, I would like to buy the iPhone 6 unlocked.

Of course we have no idea what the release of the iPhone 6 will be like right now. So in regards to the iPhone 5s, does anyone remember if Apple sold it unlocked on day 1? If not, does anyone remember how long it took for them to start selling them unlocked?

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I am on AT&T right now and will be switching to T-Mobile in January. Because of that, I would like to buy the iPhone 6 unlocked.

Of course we have no idea what the release of the iPhone 6 will be like right now. So in regards to the iPhone 5s, does anyone remember if Apple sold it unlocked on day 1? If not, does anyone remember how long it took for them to start selling them unlocked?
sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. but now since apple sells tmobile iPhones, just buy one of those without contract and I'm pretty sure it can be used on att. ask around, but thats what i would do.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. but now since apple sells tmobile iPhones, just buy one of those without contract and I'm pretty sure it can be used on att. ask around, but thats what i would do.
I bought I T-Mobile 5s on launch day. It came unlocked and I've been using in on AT&T ever since.
Do you guys know if every iPhone for T-Mobile is unlocked?

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Just buy a verizon 6. It'll be unlocked for gsm and verizon.
I have never heard that. Will it support all of AT&T and T-Mobiles LTE bands? Are there any potential downsides of getting a Verizon iPhone unlocked as opposed to a T-Mobile iPhone unlocked?

----------

I just noticed this on the Apple website.
"Your iPhone will work only with the carrier you choose."

So I am very skeptical now.

Attachments

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Always have been in the UK. I've bought my last two launch day iPhones this way.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I have never heard that. Will it support all of AT&T and T-Mobiles LTE bands? Are there any potential downsides of getting a Verizon iPhone unlocked as opposed to a T-Mobile iPhone unlocked?

----------

All Verizon iPhones from 5 and up are unlocked.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
All Verizon iPhones from 5 and up are unlocked.
When I looked on Apple's website, there was no way to currently buy an iPhone 5s on Verizon without signing up for a plan. But for the unlocked T-Mobile one, I can just add it to my cart and checkout. Nothing else needed.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
When I looked on Apple's website, there was no way to currently buy an iPhone 5s on Verizon without signing up for a plan. But for the unlocked T-Mobile one, I can just add it to my cart and checkout. Nothing else needed.
Hmm. Still its unlocked no matter how you buy it.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Do you guys know if every iPhone for T-Mobile is unlocked?
Yes all tmobile iPhones are unlocked

----------

----------

Right below it should be the unlocked/tmobile options... Btw verizon is unlocked off factory too

----------

I believe they didn't have the unlocked version till later

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

If you have an apple store just go in and say you want Verizon 5s device only. Or the Verizon website and select device only.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Hmm. Still its unlocked no matter how you buy it.
The problem is I won't be able to online.

If you have an apple store just go in and say you want Verizon 5s device only. Or the Verizon website and select device only.
I'd rather pre-order when that is available than wait in line for hours at my local Apple store.

Do you know how much later?

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
You could get a launch Verizon 6. Then cancel and pay etf.
Why would I waste hundreds of dollars doing then when I don't even plan on using Verizon? It would be much smarter for me to stick with my original plan of buying an unlocked iPhone 6 on TMobile for use on AT&T for a few months before I switch to TMobile.

patt2k

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Why would I waste hundreds of dollars doing then when I don't even plan on using Verizon? It would be much smarter for me to stick with my original plan of buying an unlocked iPhone 6 on TMobile for use on AT&T for a few months before I switch to TMobile.
Verizon i6 will come unlocked 100% just like all Verizon 4G LTE phones.

I think the factory unlocked version won't be there on day 1 so your best bet is to buy Verizon model and it will work on every gsm carrier + verizon.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Your plan will work fine...don't let these other people give you a hard time or make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Wasting what? iPhone 6 unlocked would be 649.99. Get a Verizon 6, for 200 likely, activation 35, etf 350. That's 585. Cancel after a couple days. Prorated charges maybe but it's not wasting hundreds. Done right it's cheaper and u get a more valuable iPhone 6.

There's no guarantee apple will sell unlocked on release day. So get a Verizon 6. Easy.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Wasting what? iPhone 6 unlocked would be 649.99. Get a Verizon 6, for 200 likely, activation 35, etf 350. That's 585. Cancel after a couple days. Prorated charges maybe but it's not wasting hundreds. Done right it's cheaper and u get a more valuable iPhone 6.

There's no guarantee apple will sell unlocked on release day. So get a Verizon 6. Easy.
I'd also have to pay for the first month's service, right?

----------

At this point I think on launch day I might just end up waiting in line. I will get a card for both a Verizon one and a TMobile one (which at this point it seems all TMobile ones are unlocked for sure) as a backup. I will ask to get the Verizon one device only, no contract or anything. If they will let me, I will test my AT&T SIM (because if that works then I know TMobile SIM will work when I switch).

If they don't let me get the Verizon one device only or if my AT&T SIM doesn't work, I will just go with the TMobile one. That seems to cover just about every possible outcome.

dishfan82

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014

I would just wait until January and get the iPhone through T-mobile. This way you don't have to worry about buying an unlocked phone. Get it through T-mobile as it will probably be until January when the demand dies down anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.