Question about buying an iPhone on release day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appledes7, Jun 3, 2014.

1. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

I am on AT&T right now and will be switching to T-Mobile in January. Because of that, I would like to buy the iPhone 6 unlocked.

Of course we have no idea what the release of the iPhone 6 will be like right now. So in regards to the iPhone 5s, does anyone remember if Apple sold it unlocked on day 1? If not, does anyone remember how long it took for them to start selling them unlocked?

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. but now since apple sells tmobile iPhones, just buy one of those without contract and I'm pretty sure it can be used on att. ask around, but thats what i would do.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I bought I T-Mobile 5s on launch day. It came unlocked and I've been using in on AT&T ever since.

4. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you guys know if every iPhone for T-Mobile is unlocked?

5. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

pretty sure. again, I'm not 100% so ask around, but I'm pretty sure you can just put an att sim in a tmobile iPhone.

6. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Just buy a verizon 6. It'll be unlocked for gsm and verizon.

7. 617aircav Suspended

It's unlocked when bought outright from Apple.

8. silentbob007 macrumors regular

If you buy from Apple. If you buy from TMo then it will be locked. I ordered my 5s on release day (TMo) and put it on a different GSM pre-paid plan without issue.

9. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have never heard that. Will it support all of AT&T and T-Mobiles LTE bands? Are there any potential downsides of getting a Verizon iPhone unlocked as opposed to a T-Mobile iPhone unlocked?

----------

I just noticed this on the Apple website.
    "Your iPhone will work only with the carrier you choose."

So I am very skeptical now.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Always have been in the UK. I've bought my last two launch day iPhones this way.

11. 617aircav Suspended

All Verizon iPhones from 5 and up are unlocked.

12. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I looked on Apple's website, there was no way to currently buy an iPhone 5s on Verizon without signing up for a plan. But for the unlocked T-Mobile one, I can just add it to my cart and checkout. Nothing else needed.

13. 617aircav Suspended

Hmm. Still its unlocked no matter how you buy it.

14. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Yes all tmobile iPhones are unlocked

----------

Right below it should be the unlocked/tmobile options... Btw verizon is unlocked off factory too

----------

I believe they didn't have the unlocked version till later

15. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

If you have an apple store just go in and say you want Verizon 5s device only. Or the Verizon website and select device only.

16. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I believe they didn't have the unlocked version till later

17. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

And yes you'll get all bands plus CDMA Verizon. It's the best model

18. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem is I won't be able to online.

I'd rather pre-order when that is available than wait in line for hours at my local Apple store.

Do you know how much later?

19. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

You could get a launch Verizon 6. Then cancel and pay etf.

20. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would I waste hundreds of dollars doing then when I don't even plan on using Verizon? It would be much smarter for me to stick with my original plan of buying an unlocked iPhone 6 on TMobile for use on AT&T for a few months before I switch to TMobile.

21. patt2k macrumors regular

Verizon i6 will come unlocked 100% just like all Verizon 4G LTE phones.

I think the factory unlocked version won't be there on day 1 so your best bet is to buy Verizon model and it will work on every gsm carrier + verizon.

22. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Your plan will work fine...don't let these other people give you a hard time or make it more complicated than it needs to be.

23. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Wasting what? iPhone 6 unlocked would be 649.99. Get a Verizon 6, for 200 likely, activation 35, etf 350. That's 585. Cancel after a couple days. Prorated charges maybe but it's not wasting hundreds. Done right it's cheaper and u get a more valuable iPhone 6.

There's no guarantee apple will sell unlocked on release day. So get a Verizon 6. Easy.

24. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd also have to pay for the first month's service, right?

----------

At this point I think on launch day I might just end up waiting in line. I will get a card for both a Verizon one and a TMobile one (which at this point it seems all TMobile ones are unlocked for sure) as a backup. I will ask to get the Verizon one device only, no contract or anything. If they will let me, I will test my AT&T SIM (because if that works then I know TMobile SIM will work when I switch).

If they don't let me get the Verizon one device only or if my AT&T SIM doesn't work, I will just go with the TMobile one. That seems to cover just about every possible outcome.

25. dishfan82 macrumors member

I would just wait until January and get the iPhone through T-mobile. This way you don't have to worry about buying an unlocked phone. Get it through T-mobile as it will probably be until January when the demand dies down anyways.