question about buying apps and multiple ipods

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmartigan, Apr 7, 2009.

1. madmartigan macrumors member

when i download and buy apps and games for my ipod touch, will i be able to download them again if i buy a newer ipod touch in the future?

how does the whole downloading paid apps work, can my friends or family download paid apps from my itunes to their ipods?

just trying to figure out how it all works.

2. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Yes, once you have paid for an app, you own it. If you try to "buy" it again using the same iTunes account, it will tell you that you already have purchased it and you can download it again for free.
    I THINK a limited number of friends/family can also load it from your library, but I haven't tried it yet (but I'll be watching for responses here, 'cause my wife wants some of my apps ;) )

3. tucker61 macrumors regular

My wife has some of my applications on her iPod touch. Same library is sync'd to both iPods. Never been charged twice.

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Apple is fairly generous here, in my opinion: Any application you purchase will run on any device (iPhone/iPod Touch) that's synced with any computer that's authorized on your account. You can authorize up to 5 computers on your account, and each computer can sync an unlimited number of devices.

That is to say that you could buy an application once, load it into the iTunes libraries of up to 5 authorized computers, and it will run on every (capable) device synced with any one of those computers.

5. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Im pretty sure its unlimited. I get it on 3 devices each time, and sometimes I give it to other people too, and I've never had any problems before.

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Agreed, it IS surprisingly generous. :D

7. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I have two iPod touches and have never had a probably loading the same app on both.

8. GUILTIE macrumors regular

The only problem is that you can't download any updates unless you login to the iTunes account that you bought the app from :(

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Yes, my son and I share many apps.