Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssacong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Hi. I finally decided to buy a macbook pro(low-end model). no more waiting for an update.
The question is that I am going to use education discount, but I will be graduating on June 18th. Will I need to proof that I am still a student when I apply for the rebates or just when I order it online? Thanks for your help

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2008
you wont need proof at all, and if they did a random check on your order, you'd be fine since you were a student this year. part of the promotion is for students about to graduate if you look online so you'll be fine! enjoy your new laptop:D

ssacong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
woohoo!! awesome. Thanks for your answer. one more question I forgot to ask though. If I want to buy applecare, do I have to buy it with macbook pro? or can I purchase that 1 year later?

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2008
this i'm not completely sure about, but i think it's best to just buy it now and have the peace of mind. and with the education discount it's not too bad!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
woohoo!! awesome. Thanks for your answer. one more question I forgot to ask though. If I want to buy applecare, do I have to buy it with macbook pro? or can I purchase that 1 year later?

You can buy it anytime as long as the 1 year isn't up yet; be sure to activate it though; just show you student ID and buy the Apple Care anytime for $110 off.

JDR

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Chicago, IL
this i'm not completely sure about, but i think it's best to just buy it now and have the peace of mind. and with the education discount it's not too bad!

I agree. I actually just ordered a MBP with a larger hard drive, Applecare, and the free iPod Touch promotion today (still costs less than a regular-priced MBP :D).

I called Apple Sales earlier today to inquire about the education discount verification, and the man on the phone basically said that they go by the honor system, since you would be on the appropriate institution's online Apple Store anyway. That isn't to say, however, that they don't to random checks as Burtonsnow9 also mentioned.

My iPod Touch already is on it's way via FedEx (just a few hours after ordering it) and my MBP should come by the end of the week!

Cheers,
JDR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.