Question about buying Macbook Pro in Apple Stores

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pngwyn, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

So I'm just wondering what it's like to purchase a Macbook Pro in an apple store? Primarily, can I customize a laptop on the spot, or would I have to make an order and return at a later date? I'm trying to get a 2.3ghz, 8gb ram with anti-glare screen 17", but if I have to order and wait, I might as well just order online and save myself the trips.

I'm also curious if the prices on the site includes taxes?

2. simsaladimbamba

You could phone the store and ask if they have the model you want.
    Btw, RAM is cheaper from MacSales or Newegg.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Typically, the retail stores only stock the baseline models, but you can always call and check their inventory. Most of the time, you will need to order online to get higher specifications. Yes, in the US the online store charges tax.

4. vga4life macrumors 6502

The stores are carrying high-end models with antiglare screens as a retail SKU (non-BTO). They only have 4 gigs of RAM and 750 gig HD (no SSD), but you're better off buying your RAM elsewhere anyways. I bought a 15" 2.3 last week in store, then bought an Intel 510, optibay adapter, and 8GB RAM separately (not from Apple.)

Don't bother placing a custom (BTO) order through a store.

5. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

Generally speaking, Apple Stores carry the stock configurations, with the possible exception of some of the higher end machines or display choices. RAM they can install - but if you're going to end up replacing the stock chip, it will be cheaper to buy online, as the store will just give you the old chip - BTO won't ever put it in, and thus the cost of the upgrade is a touch lower.

Hard drives and the like you have to BTO. And don't bother doing that from the store.