question about buying SL used...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vzippa5, Sep 8, 2009.

1. vzippa5 macrumors newbie

I know this is going to make me sound cheap, seeing that SL is only $30, but...

I am interested in buying a used version of SL, and wondering if that is "legal" - I imagine that tons of people will buy SL, install it, then put the DVD in a drawer to collect dust. Could those people sell it to me for a discount, say $5, since they no longer have a use for it? Do I actually have to buy the disc from apple for it to be "legit" or is the disc enough?

I'm not trying to do something that is illegal - I'm just wondering if I will be a legit owner if I find someone who will sell it to me. Obviously I could just DL a torrent if I wanted to but I would like to stay kosher (just don't want to dish out $30 for no new features)

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yes, yes it did. :p

Just buy it.

3. iVoid macrumors 65816

According to Apple's license, the seller would have to uninstall Snow Leopard to resell the disc and still be 'legit'.

Plus, I'd never want to be without an install disc for an OS I have running. Reinstalling is sometimes required (even on Macs).

Just buy it from Amazon for $25 (free shipping).

4. vzippa5 thread starter macrumors newbie

... so if the buyer assures me that he has uninstalled it, I could just believe him because he would be the one doing the illegal part by not uninstalling.

And Dan, I am not ashamed to say that I'm very very cheap, just ask my girlfriend!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no real way to verify; if you have to be cheap, just borrow a friend's copy. Seriously.

Disclaimer: I am not condoling piracy of any sort. At any time, I may make comments on these forums that are not my own options or beliefs, simply suggestions to facilitate discussion.

6. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

My thoughts exactly.

@ OP: if $30 is going to kill you just live with leopard. You're risking more than $30 if you run into trouble.

@ alphaod the word is condoning not condoling ;)

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would only consider selling my SL disk if I had never installed it and never planned to. If I install it then sold the disk what would I do if the HD crashed? I would have no SL to install and would have to buy it again.

SL is not a huge benefit anyway. There is no huge benefit for me. I played with it in the Apple store, and it was OK,but for what I do it is not that much of an improvement.

I do own an Up-to-date disk for SL but haven't decided to install yet. Iwill probably wait for 10.6.1

8. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Or, put another way, $30 is still $30 and there is 0.0000% risk of any 'trouble'.

If some is selling a second hand SL for $5, there's no practical reason not to buy.

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That is correct. You have no legal obligation to make sure the seller abides by his end of the license agreement. We can only be responsible for ourselves.

The "bearer" of any Apple-issued SL disk is the legitimate license holder. End of story.

P.S. The world needs more frugal people. If you can find a snow leopard disk for $5 then I respectfully applaud your cheap ass.

10. vzippa5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to try Craigslist, i'll keep y'all posted on my quest for a $5 upgrade

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

How can spend money on a Mac and can't spend a meezly $30 on a damn OS upgrade. :p

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Some might counter that by saying because you bought a Mac you can't afford the software to run it.