Question about buying used and Apple Care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Apr 20, 2010.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If I buy a used Mac that has already been registered in someone else's name and they bought Apple Care, do I re-register it in my name to get the same coverage or is it just attached to the machine and I never need to do anything?

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

just attached to the machine. you can however ask in the store about changing that back over to your name.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

It is attached to the machine. Usually when I buy a used one, I call with the serial# and tell them I just bought a machine from someone else and would like to re-register it with my address, email and phone #. This just makes it easier down the line if you ever have to call about it but isn't necessary until you have something done to it.
    :)

Edit: to angemon,
    Yeah, I live about 1:20 from the closest apple store or service ctr. so I've typically done all of my repairs through mail-in where they ask for your address, etc. They would have to change all of that when I tried to set up a repair, and took FOREVER. The first time, they shipped a box to the previous owner. :rolleyes:

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

^ Even if you have something done to it, it isn't necessary to change who the Applecare is registered to. I once took in my BlackBook which was registered to someone else and they didn't even say anything. They just fixed the computer and I picked it up 2 days later.