Question about buying with student discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tech3475, Mar 16, 2014.

1. tech3475 macrumors regular

I recently got a rMBP for a course in september from a seller on Amazon on discount, however, it turns out that the laptop is in fact an import from HK and I'm wondering whether to return it or not while I can (only major difference I can see is that it has a US kb instead of a gb one but I've set it to GB).

Now the alternative for me if I do return it is to wait till I enroll and buy it from Apple themselves with my student discount but I'm wondering when would I qualify for a student discount and is it hard to order over the phone? i.e. is it when I register and get a student ID or do I have to have started lessons?

I know that the price will be about the same as what I paid (including last years app store voucher).

Thank you.

2. DragonJade, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

DragonJade macrumors 6502

I've ordered over the internet and got student discounts without any problems, but have never done it in the UK. There's never a check for ID.

If you've already got your letter of acceptance from uni, then I would try going to somewhere like KRCS, which will be a little cheaper than Apple, and you can get the machine on the spot if you live near one of their stores. If not, take the letter to an official Apple store. This is all assuming you want to change it because of the keyboard. There's nothing wrong with it, although you may be buggered when it comes to the UK/EU electrical appliance 2/3 year warranty thing.

Even if you didn't have your acceptance letter, I'd just take any UCAS letter with you to the store. You're between college and uni, so pretty much still a student.

3. tech3475 thread starter macrumors regular

In the UK (on at least the Apple website, I'll look at that KRCS) you need to be using a unis internet connection to be able to access their education site although I found a kludge that allows me to at least see the price and I'm too far from a store to consider that option (nice idea though).

Good to know that there is nothing wrong besides the look of the keys (I plan on getting insurance anyway which I checked shouldn't be an issue).

Thank you.

4. DragonJade macrumors 6502

I've always had really good service with KRCS. I've dealt with their head office via email, and talked to their staff in their Coventry store. There are other authorised resellers you could try, not just KRCS. If you're near a John Lewis, you could try in there. They have three years on all their electrical stuff, but you'd be paying full price and probably wouldn't be able to get a custom spec.

5. DragonJade macrumors 6502

I just got an email from KRCS saying that they give two year warranties on Macs and iPads now.

6. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

If you have the direct link to your university's special apple URL, you do not need to be at the universities campus.

7. tech3475 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I am aware of the uni address trick as well, although I don't know if it can be used for buying.

Warranty isn't that big of an issue since I'll be getting insurance anyway to cover accidents.