Question about Cable Internet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fazzl, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I currently have DSL internet and its way too slow so I want to upgrade to cable. My question is, i have free cable tv right now, no box or anything, just regular 1-60 cable that the last technician hooked up when i canceled my box.

If i get cable internet (there is only one provider here, TWC), will they notice that I am getting a free signal and will they cancel it? I don't want to have to pay for cable internet and cable tv since i dont really use the tv (I just watch CNN every now and then).

Thanks.

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I'm a TimeWarner customer in Ohio (not sure what state you're in), when I got my new apartment, we had Dish network. I refused to have dialup ever again, so I got RoadRunner. About 3 months later, the apartment owner's deal with Dish expired, and low and behold, I had TW cable. My bill was never over the $40/mo that was my cost of RR, so I called TimeWarner and they explained to me that the basic cable TV signal was piggybacked on the RR signal, so in essence I was getting basic TV cable channels for free.

So your mileage may vary, but I can say at least here you'll get to keep your free basic cable.

3. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Why are you posting this in here?

4. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you don't watch TV enough to warrant cable, and you don't want to pay for cable, why does it matter if the cable company disconnects your free connection?

I understand not wanting to pay for it, but if you don't use it anyway, then there's no problem.

If, on the other hand, having cable does matter to you after all and you do want it, then it's up to you to decide if it's worth paying for.