Question about Calibrating Battery...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richard1028, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

From Apple's FAQ:

3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.

4. At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.

5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

Why do I need to let it sleep for 5 hours if all I have to do is turn it off and back on again (as implied to me in step 5 with the word, "OR"). Won't you have to do that anyway once power is hooked back up?

Or does the battery really "sleep" for 5 hours even when it's dead?

How do you guy do this? About once a month before going to bed I load up a long-assed flash movie, unplug the magsafe and go to bed. The next morning I plug in the magsafe and power up.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

#5 doesn't imply you need to turn it on immediately after. I'm fairly sure they mean to turn it off and leave it off for 5 hours. Every once in a while I just unplug my machine and let the battery drain, then plug it directly back in. I've never had any major capacity problems with Apple batteries even if I haven't calibrated them once every two weeks or even once a month. I just don't worry about it.

3. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's not how I read it though. It's that "OR" word that throws it off. :D

But like you, I've never had any problems doing my "monthly thing" the way I do it. Just wondered if I was missing something.

4. santos79 macrumors regular

I agree: step 5 doesn't make sense at all. Apple should re-word that. They seem to be saying that right after you turn off your computer you can plug it back in (step 6).

I assume what they mean is that you can either let it remain in sleep mode until the battery is completely empty (5 hours) or it can remain turned off and unplugged for 5 hours or more.

5. trippr macrumors member

trippr

My batt in my mbp is dead! Can't hold charge for more then 10mins. If I unplug it jus goes to sleep! Do u thinkin tryin to do the steps above will revive it or have I killed it?