Question about calibrating Macbook battery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by badlydrawnboy, May 9, 2010.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Just bought a new Macbook today. About an hour ago I opened it, turned it on, and started downloading and installing system updates. It's been plugged in this entire time.

Then I remembered that I'm supposed to condition the battery right away. I looked up the article on Apple's website.

Should I have just turned it on and plugged it in to charge without using it? The article isn't entirely clear on that. Or can I keep setting it up and using it as long as it's plugged in until the light on the power cord turns green (before unplugging it and allowing the battery to run down)?

It does say you can use it once it's charged during the two-hour "rest" period, but it doesn't say whether you can use it while it's charging.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Stop worrying. The effects of not following the instructions to the letter are minimal. If you follow the proper procedures relatively soon after you take it out of the box you'll never know the difference.

Shouldn't really matter. Using it while charging just means it takes a bit longer to charge.

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

The reason I'm worrying is that the reason I got a new Macbook was that I had constant battery and power management issues with my last one. I want to make sure I do what I can to keep that from happening this time (although I don't think the last one was due to anything I did, just got a lemon).

Went through the process last night and this morning, but somehow I missed the step where it says it should sleep for five hours before plugging it in and charging it up again.

I'd say it slept for maybe 2.5 hours. Should I do the entire conditioning cycle again?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibrating is done to keep your battery status reporting as accurate as possible, and should be done the first week you get your Mac or a new battery. If you run on battery frequently, calibrate every 60 days or so. If you run plugged in most of the time or if you infrequently use your notebook, calibrate every 30 days or so.
    If you interrupt the calibration process or feel that you didn't do it properly, it's fine to start over and re-calibrate. You won't hurt anything.
    Calibrating a portable computer battery

5. DELINDA macrumors regular

After reading your post I decided to recal. my battery . I just got my MPB pro and it seemed my battery life was to short . I am only getting 4.5 to 5.5 hrs . I have been tracking this for for three days now and thinking about bringing the Mbp in for checkup . Thanks to you I will do a recalibration and keep an eye on things