Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.
5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

For step 6, is it alright to turn on and use my computer while I'm charging it back up to full? Thanks.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
For the most accurate calibration, it is recommended that you don't use your computer when you calibrate it, though it will only have a small effect if you do use it when you calibrate it. If you drain it down and then charge it all the way while you're using it every few days you should get just as accurate of a calibration as leaving it off when you charge it every once in a while.

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

For step 6, is it alright to turn on and use my computer while I'm charging it back up to full? Thanks.

I believe so, as long as you let it fully charged, because when it is plugged in, you're drawing power from the adapter and not your battery

Edit: apparently what ive been doing is different from others. Please take what I said with a grain of salt. But after 176 cycles of using this method, my battery health is still at 98%.

jvlog

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
I believe so, as long as you let it fully charged, because when it is plugged in, you're drawing power from the adapter and not your battery

Edit: apparently what ive been doing is different from others. Please take what I said with a grain of salt. But after 176 cycles of using this method, my battery health is still at 98%.

Damn that's good I'm at 93% at 48 cycles

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Where do you find the battery health and number of cycles?

Sorry if this is a hijack. Mods please feel free to delete if it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.