Question about Camera Roll and Albums

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rocknblogger, Oct 30, 2011.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

When moving photos from the Camera Roll to a new folder, should the photos still remain in Camera Roll?

I ask because when I selected a number of photos and created a new album for them. I noticed total number of photos initially dropped and then I saw the number increase again until it was the same as before I created the new album.

I would have thought that if you move pictures to a new or existing album they would be removed from the camera roll. Otherwise it makes very difficult to find the pictures you want if you have 500 pictures in your camera roll.

For example lets say you create an album called "Foliage". And lets say you have 150 photos of foliage. If the pictures you move to the new album also remain in camera roll it's extremely difficult to find a couple you may have missed especially if some photos look very similar.

Or am I missing something?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Simple answer is yes. All photos on your phone will appear in your Camera Roll, whether in a separate album or not.

3. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Okay thanks. It would be nice to be able to control that.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I have to say, this is one of the annoying things that Apple has implemented. Before I got my 4S, I was jailbroken on my 3GS and using a jailbreak tweak called PhotoAlbums+. It worked EXACTLY like the photo albums in iOS5, save for one feature. When you created a new album and moved pictures from the Camera Roll to the new album, it removed the pictures from the Camera Roll. Why Apple didn't implement it this way, I have no idea.

I'm with ya, OP. I hate having hundreds of unsorted photos in the Camera Roll. This is something we should all give Apple feedback on and maybe they'll adjust it in the future.

5. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

So let me ask this.....if it keeps them in the camera roll as well what if you delete them from the camera roll? Does it automatically delete from the album they are in as well?

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Are you not using something like iPhoto? I use iPhoto and when I sync with my Mac they are moved into Events and I tell it to delete from the Camera Roll the same time. Then the new event is Synced back to all of my devices.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Yes. It will prompt you to delete the photos from other folders as well (it's not an option...it's just warning you). Odd, isn't it?

I'm not using iPhoto because I'm on a PC. Is it possible to get iPhoto if you're on something other than a Mac? If so, that's something I'd love to look into.

8. rocknblogger, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'll have to look into this. I don't really create events, or I should say I ignore events as I prefer to categorize photos my own way. But to be fair and honest I don't usually use iPhoto anyway. I do all my editing either in Photoshop or Lightroom and occasionally in FX Photo Studio, so I need my photos in a folder to easily open them.

Also this is my first iPhone coming from Android so I'm still learning all the little details ;)

9. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

How do you organize your photos? You said that you let it sync into "events" but since not everything is an "event" how do you organize further?

Just trying to understand your way. Could be better than mine, right? ;)

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

iPhoto is Mac only. There may be other options on Windows for uploading from a "Camera" which is what the iPhone looks like (I assume).

11. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Thanks, Mike. I did some reading and realized I already had Windows Live Photo Gallery installed on my 2 month old Windows 7 laptop. It works pretty well, actually. When I opened it, it automatically pulls the photos from my Photo Stream folder and groups every photo into the months they were taken. Pretty sweet.

This should work alright until I save up enough for a Mac. Thanks for the response!

12. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You misunderstood me. I use a Mac but I'm curious how you organize your photo library in iPhoto. Or do just just leave things as they are and let iPhoto sort your photos by date (events)?

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You loads the photos into iPhoto then create your own events