Question About Canceling Verizon Service To Get iPhone 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jobyjoe, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jobyjoe macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a few questions and any help would be appreciated (sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Didn't quite know where to put it).

Currently I am on my parent's family plan. I just graduated gradschool and got a job and will be moving out for good, and I want to set up my own cell phone service. I want to cancel my service with verizon and get the iPhone. I am 12 months into a 24 month contract with my current phone, so I know I will half to pay for early termination. Thing is, I need to port my number to AT&T. So how do I do this exactly? Since my mom is the account holder I figure she has to be involved in some way. Will she need to go with me to the Apple store to provide them her account information at Verizon to complete the port? Also, can all this be done at the apple store? Do I have to do some of this online? Or do I have to go to AT&T? (I would prefer to do all this at the apple store, if it can be done there).

Just wanted to say thanks for any help in advance. Never had to do this before, so I'm just a little nervous. Hopefully it goes smooth.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I did it online from the apple website, all I needed to enter was my phone number and the account number. I'm assuming the same info would be required in person at the store.

However, I was not a member of a family plan so I'm not sure if there are any differences there.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well your parents are going to be the one bill for the early termination which I will assume you will pay them back for but more to the point on tranfering the number.

Yes it can be and you have the part right that the account holder (aka your mom) will need to be involved and because it you are transferring it to ATT I would recommend you mom go with you to ATT with a bill from Verizon because they need the Verizon account number. I would also recommend you go do it at an ATT store since it will be easier for the store to the transfer than apple.

4. Aceon6 macrumors newbie

Will the Verizon service still have two or more phones on it once you leave? If so, I believe Verizon allows changes to a Family Talk plan without early terminations. At worst, they would charge you the early term feel ONLY for the additional phone, which should be $9.99 x however months you have left or the difference between that and full retail of your "free" phone, whichever is greater.