Question about cancelling within the 30 day period.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierobryan, Jun 28, 2009.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Before getting my 3GS, I had a 3G with one year left on my contract. When I got my 3GS I had to start a new 2 year contract. When I bought the 3GS the AT&T rep said I had 30 days to return the phone if I didn't like it. So... What will happen if I return my 3GS within 30 days? Will I return to my previous one year contract? Will they cancel my new 2 year contract?
    :confused::confused:

2. Surely Guest

Surely

From the info they gave me at the Apple Store when I asked about that, they told me that you would go back to the arrangement that you had with AT&T prior to signing the new 2 year contract.

3. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Wait, this will apply to me as a new customer then, no?

If I sign my first contract (new customer) with AT&T and purchase the iPhone 3GS, I get a 30-day period to essentially 'test-out' the phone/network. If I decide I for whatever reason hate it, I can go to AT&T and say "This isn't what I want" and they cancel the 2-year agreement, and I give them back the iPhone?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And pay the first month/two of fees and the charges for opening the account.

Part of the agreement they worked out with congress to avoid more restrictive legislation. At the time they were charging you huge termination fees or holding you to the lengthy contract on phones that didn't work for your area. Now you have 30-days before you are cuffed.

The credit card companies did the same thing, and then backtracked and got hit with the recent legislation.

5. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of returning my 3GS and waiting a few months and buying another. Will AT&T still give me a 32GB 3GS for $499 or will I have to pay $699? I assume I'll be good for the $499 price since I'll be back on my old 3G contract after the return.

6. Que macrumors 6502

personally, if i had a question as important as this i'd make sure i asked the right people.

why don't you call at&t?

if you're given information on here that at&t don't agree with what are you going to do? tell them that they have to do it because someone on macrumours said so?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, we can say say this or that, but only AT&T will give you what they will and will not allow.

I'm curious why you're willing to return it, only to buy it a couple of months later? obviously you like the phone and if you sell your old iPhone the cost will be much more palatable. I sold mine old iPhone for > 330 which made the upgrade much easier to swallow.