Question about Candybar

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, Nov 3, 2008.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am looking to buy Candybar to change my dock. However, I was told that Candybar can cause faults with the mac. Is this true or was some apple tech telling me a load of crock

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

who wouldnt want a 3d dock?

4. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I want to be able to modify my icons but as long as its not going to cause me any problems

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I have been using it for a long time and have had zero problems. Having said that you are making major changes to the Mac interface so there is the chance that something could go wrong but I have not heard of anyone really having major problems with it

but if someone else has heard of or has experienced problems please say so as I can only speak to what I have seen and heard

7. rising j macrumors member

I have been hesitant to install CandyBar, for said reasons mentioned above. However, I really want to change up my icons and docks....I might just go ahead and do it as problems seem pretty isolated.

8. jawzzy macrumors regular

Erm, you can totally change the dock without Candybar. Use Liteicon for the Trash and the Finder and changing application icons and dock structures/looks is very easy.

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Why pay $30 for CandyBar when you can do it for free? I use the instructions Apple gives and it takes me less than a minute to change. There are also sites like dockalicious where you can change your dock if you want. Free also. Here is the instructions to change your icon.

Select the volume, application, folder, or file whose icon you want to stamp onto another, just click the icon to select it.

From the File menu, choose Get Info or press Command-I to open the Info window.

Click the icon in the upper-left corner of the Info window to select it.

From the Edit menu, choose Copy or press Command-C.

Select the volume, application, folder, or file whose icon you want to replace.

From the File menu, choose Get Info or press Command-I.

Click the icon in the upper-left corner.

From the Edit menu, choose Paste or press Command-V to replace the icon.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2493

Very easy.

Using Liteicon doesn't allow you to change every icon in your dock. It is limited. Candybar does, but after the trial it is $30. Both are easy to do (I have had both), but the instructions Apple gives is easy as well and you can change all of them also. That said, I never had any problems with Candybar or Liteicon.

Here is my dock and customized icons:

Attached Files:

10. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

THE post I was looking for~knew there had to be an easy way to do this~thanks!

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

lovely desktop/dock/icons!! :D

12. Pili macrumors regular

ive been using candy bar since way back in 10.4 and ive never had any issues with it. Its a great app if you dont mind dishing out the money, keeping track of hundreds of icons can get very confusing but candybar makes it easy. Plus the ability to download icon containers which most icons makers provide is very convenient. Changing the dock is also greatly simplified as you can mix and match components with simple drag and drop.

The biggest benefit though imo is that everything is completely reversible and the defaults can be restored with the click of a button. No need to back up all the default icons.

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I agree Candybar is great if you want to go back to the original icons that came with your computer (other than that you can get any icon you want--there are millions of them if you google it). Here is how you can do it for free through them. Get the free 14 day trial from Candybar. After the 14 days don't buy it. Change your icons anytime the way I showed. Your trial is over, but the program which is still on your computer, allows you to go back to the original icons without paying for it. It is a win-win.

Changing icons per the instructions from Apple is almost as fast and best of all, free. No need to pay $30 for this IMO.

14. rising j macrumors member

Great! I'm happy to hear of the positive experiences. Have you guys had any issues with changing docks? Every single time I am about to pull the trigger I get scared off by error reports, such as "dock is gone!", people post. It sounds like changing the dock is actually quite intensive and involves modifying crucial system files.