Question about Canon 430 EX II build

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fongyuen, Feb 14, 2011.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

i just received a 430 that i bought off of Amazon from a 3rd party reseller. he stated that it was a used item but in mint condition having only been used a few times. his packaging is great and the unit looks fine so i'm inclined to believe him, but i'm just wondering if the joint around where the flash pivots is supposed to have a little give (it wobbles if i gently move the upper and lower parts in 2 diff directions). ok, thanks.

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I bought my 430 EX II new a few months ago and it has seen relatively little real use. Mine has quite a bit of play in the joint. It kind of caught me off guard and scared me a little about the long term reliability. Hopefully someone here can chime in with advice and put our fears to rest. I just wanted to point out that you're not the only one with a wobbly 430 EX

3. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Mines always had a bit of play too, I thrash the hell out of my flashes and they just keep going and going and going. The only problem I've had is that the wide angle flip out thingys break easily when you drop them. But that's nothing that a $2 piece of plastic (diffuser) doesn't do better anyway.

4. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm, ok, that's good, at least it doesn't seem like i bought a dud. thanks for the input guys.