Question about carrying 2 Phones

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ACint24, Dec 14, 2014.

1. ACint24 macrumors member

Hi all,

I currently own an iPhone Plus which I use for my personal phone. I would like to buy a Galaxy Note 4 unlocked to use as a secondary work phone.

Would it be possible to just tether the note 4 to my iPhone and use it without a SIM card? I would use google voice for phone and SMS.

If not, how do others handle carrying two phones?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes you could likely do that using the hotspot feature of the iPhone. But not sure it's best way to go or reliable. You could just get a sim with data plan only and put that in the Note 4.

3. ACint24 thread starter macrumors member

How much would that cost? Right now I have a 30GB value share plan on AT&T with 2 phones on it.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Question about carrying 2 Phones

I don't know I'm in Europe (Ireland). Here I can get a sim with data only (around 3gb) for €10 per month...

I just think using your iPhone continuously in hotspot mode is going to hammer the battery life on it, making getting through the day tough.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It would cost $15 a month to add that phone to your plan as long as the phone was paid off.

6. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

On att, to add a device to your share plan costs $10/mo. You just share the data with your plan.That's for something like a tablet. However, I don't think you can do that with a phone. So, like the above poster, it's $15/mo which for me comes to $19.82/mo (counting taxes and fees). That's for the line only. How you pay for the phone is a separate matter.

7. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

If you end up tethering a lot, I would put the sim in the Note 4 and use its hotspot instead (if that works with your plan ofc).

The wifi hotspot on my Note 2 is 100% reliable and can be toggled on/off directly from the home screen using a widget (Power Toggles). Whereas my iPhone 6 Plus hotspot likes to drop the connection every 10-20 minutes or so, and then I have to go into Settings to restart it, and have that settings page open with the screen on to establish a new connection.

Also the battery drain would be easier to manage on the Note 4. If your wifi regularly empties battery, just carry a spare one for an instantaneous full recharge when needed.

8. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Hey I've done that before with the Note 3/iPhone 5s combo even though both had separate lines, the poor radio signal in the Note would force me to use my 5s as a hotspot the whole day. Battery drains faster than a sieve .

9. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Agree with the battery comments - whichever way around you do it, you'll be charging/changing batteries more than you'd like.

I tried a Note 4 on a 5S (I know, small battery) and the opposite way, and even with a spare battery, I eventually just got a separate data SIM. I do have the dual SIM Note 4 which helps in this regard.

Suppose it depends how often you'll be tethering and for how long.