Question about "Cellular Data" and 3G switch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gloryunited, Oct 27, 2011.

1. gloryunited macrumors 6502

People are saying 3G can't be turned off now with the new iPhone 4S (or iOS 5.0).

1. Does it mean now we can't switch off cellular/mobile data and use WiFi only, to avoid excess usage and large bills?
    2. or Does it only mean we can't switch to 2G network manually?

Thanks

2. stjohnswell macrumors newbie

Option 2. I had to use it recently in Amsterdam. Disabling cellular/mobile data restricts you to wifi for data even though your radio will still say 3G.

3. gloryunited thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, so we can disable mobile data at home or whenever we can connect to wifi, but still be able to receive phone calls.

Then what's with the "no 2G" issue? Isn't 3G better? and doesn't it connect to 2G automatically for you when you have no 3G signal anyway?

4. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Exactly how it works on Sprint. I turn it off when I am using Wifi or planned to use Wifi for the whole day *in home or in office.

This saves my battery life DRASTICALLY since both locations have poor 3G reception. But I can still send texts and receive phone calls. All internet based apps just use Wifi.

This eliminates ALL 2G and 3G cellular data. Before there was an option to jump from 3G down to 2G to help when your signal was spotty and would constantly switch between the two... or when you only have a 2G signal and was constantly searching for 3G.

5. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

Same. I have horrible service at work, so I turn it off and use wifi for everything, but can still send txts and my batt life is dramatically better.