Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Question about cellular service on AW

ssledoux

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have the AW series 4 with cellular, but I’ve never actually gotten the service activated on the watch.

Is there the same risk wearing the cellular version on your body if the cellular isn’t activated as there is having the activated cellular watch?

I realize not everyone believes in the exposure being an issue - not really arguing that point. I just wonder if the cellular exposure can be there if it’s not activated.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I have the AW series 4 with cellular, but I’ve never actually gotten the service activated on the watch.

Is there the same risk wearing the cellular version on your body if the cellular isn’t activated as there is having the activated cellular watch?

I realize not everyone believes in the exposure being an issue - not really arguing that point. I just wonder if the cellular exposure can be there if it’s not activated.

I doubt it. It's a separate circuit that is off until you activate it.

Comment

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
England
I doubt it. It's a separate circuit that is off until you activate it.

I don’t believe that to be correct. Even if your cellular plan is not activated, you can still use the watch to make emergency calls. That is the law in some countries and certainly applies to America. Therefore, at least at some point, the cellular circuitry has to be active.

As a side note, the risk from any exposure anyway, is absolutely infinitesimally small.

Edit: apparently I’m completely wrong, so disregard the first part of my post.

Last edited:
Comment

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I don’t believe that to be correct. Even if your cellular plan is not activated, you can still use the watch to make emergency calls. That is the law in some countries and certainly applies to America. Therefore, at least at some point, the cellular circuitry has to be active.

As a side note, the risk from any exposure anyway, is absolutely infinitesimally small.

The above is NOT correct and the cellular on a non-activated cellular watch would only turn on when you activated the 911 emergency. If not activated the cellular circuits are dead!

Comment

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
The above is NOT correct and the cellular on a non-activated cellular watch would only turn on when you activated the 911 emergency. If not activated the cellular circuits are dead!

The cellular radios exact a huge toll on battery life. Apple bends over backwards to NOT trigger them. I think this is closer to the truth.

Comment

Pspressart

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
The cellular radios exact a huge toll on battery life. Apple bends over backwards to NOT trigger them. I think this is closer to the truth.[/QUOT
I have an Apple Watch 4 with cellular. It does not have a serious impact on battery life. If I do not use the phone on the watch, I usually have about 75% after one day.

Comment

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana

thats because your not using the radios most of the time. If your phone is within range, the watch radios shut down. Try doing a 1 hour call without your phone nearby and get back to us.

Reactions: akash.nu
Comment

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Even if you activate cell service on your watch, it would only turn itself on if the watch was out of bluetooth range of your phone and there were no known wifi networks to which it could connect. Only then would the cell circuits and antenna switch itself on.

Comment

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Even if you activate cell service on your watch, it would only turn itself on if the watch was out of bluetooth range of your phone and there were no known wifi networks to which it could connect. Only then would the cell circuits and antenna switch itself on.

if so, then do you guys leave Cellular ON all the time or switch on as needed?

Comment

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
if so, then do you guys leave Cellular ON all the time or switch on as needed?
On. This allows the watch to activate cellular connectivity when needed (i.e., no Bluetooth or WiFi) and disconnect when not necessary. WatchOS will turn it on and off intelligently so as not to kill the battery.

Set it to off, and the watch will never activate cellular connectivity, even when no BT or WiFi connection is available.

Reactions: artfossil and Thai
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.