Question about changing icons

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by davidy, May 3, 2008.

1. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Does anyone know of an application, or otherwise know how to change the screen icons individually, one at a time? I don't mean adding or changing to a different summerboard. Ideally, I'd like to change a few of the icons to either photographs from my files, or to some other photo or drawing of my choosing.

While I'm asking questions, another one concerns album covers in iTunes. ITunes gives you the ability to add more than one cover to an album but I can't see how to display one other than the original one added. Also, I can't see how to delete a cover once it's been added. I was manually adding cover art for albums that didn't have any and accidently put the wrong picture on one album. Nothing I have been able to do allows me to delete that picture. I did add the correct picture but I can't get it to display. Of course, whatever I do in iTunes I'd like for it to properly sync to the touch.

Any ideas???

2. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

For the icon changing, i have an answer, i don't however, for the mulitple album art...

For the icons, you'll have to SSH into your iPod (see this tutorial)

Once inside, you need to navigate to the /Applications/ folder... from there, you can see all the program files of all your applications. Inside each folder there is an 'icon.png' file. You'll need to replace that with a perfectly sized PNG file (50x50px). Make sure its called 'icon.png'.

Thats it! Restart the springboard (or reset the ipod) and your done!

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

for individual icons, customize, but you need to be jailbroken

4. davidy thread starter macrumors 6502

davidy

Saying that I have to "SSH to [my] iPod" and the information in the link you provided is like Russian to me. I am totally clueless about what you and the link are talking about.

I was hoping for something simple but I guess that's not to be. I'll learn to live with the icons I have now.

Thanks anyway.

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

ssh is SecureSHell it is basicly using the wifi that your iPod is conected to inorder to view its contents

you will need need be jailbroken for this also

6. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Regarding the multiple album art, you should be able to delete unwanted images by doing 'get info' on each song, then selecting the 'artwork' tab, select the artwork you don't want, and click the 'delete' button in the info window. Unfortunately, you have to do this one song at a time (it doesn't seem to work if you select multiple items, like all the songs on an album), but at least the 'get info' window has the 'next' and 'previous' button so you can go through all the songs on an album without having to open a window for each one.

I think that answers your question. If you want to have multiple artwork attached to a song and select which one displays, it looks like you can do that by opening the same 'get info' window (again, for an individual song), clicking 'artwork', then dragging the one you want to be first in the window.

7. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

What Davidy is getting at, is the lack-of-ability to display multiple album art on that iPod itself....

8. intempo808 macrumors regular

If you want all your album work to be perfect (i.e. corresponding to the correct album etc.) You need to make sure that ALL the album information is correct to what iTunes says. For example, if you had one album called "The Day I Turned to Glass" and another called "The Day I Turned To Glass", then they will be classed as separate albums, resulting in multiple artwork. Technically, either is correct, but if you want all your albums to be together, and not multiple, then you need to choose whichever one you like and change them all to this type.

Sorry if that makes no sense or is irrelevant...

9. davidy thread starter macrumors 6502

davidy

Well, not really. I only brought up multiple album art because in an attempt to correct incorrect art, I loaded second images to display, but then couldn't figure out how to display them. I just wanted one correct album art per album in both iTouch and the touch.

At any rate, I now have most of the problems solved. I have the correct art for each album and it syncs to the touch correctly with only a couple of exceptions.

Two albums have art that shows up on iTunes but doesn't sync over to the touch. One album for which I purchased four songs shows up on iTunes and on the touch as two albums with the same art, with one song in one and three songs in the other, even though they are all from the same album.

These remaining problems aren't fatal, just annoying, but I'll be able to live with them.