Question about changing Macbook pro case!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tvt5043, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Tvt5043 macrumors member

I dropped my macbook pro and it has cosmetic damages, and was told my warranty is void. If i change my case will apple know? and if they do can I just say cause my old case is all scratched up?

any reply will help thanks!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You should be able to pay to have Apple bring your MBP back into warranty by repairing it. If it is just cosmetic, it should be able to be repaired for around $200.

Also, the outer case has your serial number, so changing it changes your number ;)

3. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

can't I just take off my serial number from my one case to the new 1? and I can have apple take a look at my macbook and see whats wrong and if nothing is i can have my warranty back? is that what you met?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

On my early '08, the serial number is etched into the aluminum.
    Yes, I meant restoring your warranty by paying to have Apple fix it up to bring it back into spec of the warranty.

5. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

can I have a contact info like aim or yahoo where i can contact you at to talk easier?

My mac all of a sudden dosn't power on so I'm tyring to fix the case then bring it in to have it fix. The casing damages was done liek 6 month ago but just yesterday it stopped working if i don't get it fix they will blame the casing damge for whats wrong with it which will cost a whole lot more.