Question about changing the main HD.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gunga Din, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Hello all, this weekend i'll be picking up a Stock mac pro. Today I ordered at WD 150gb 10k RPM Raptor.

What is the best way to make that new drive my main, for OS and booting?

Do I just reinstall Leopard onto that drive and wipe the 320 Stock one to use for Time Machine or install the new Raptor, copy from the 320gb stock and then go back to wipe the 320 HD? (Then Change somewhere in the options to make the raptor my boot up drive?)

Also this is my first Mac. I'm not sure how i'm even gonna do all this in an OS i'm not familiar with. Is it easy? Can someone give me a road map lol ?

Thanks and I look forward to joining your community !

2. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

Here is what I did. I placed the new hard drive in slot 2 and ran Carbon Copy Clone from disk 1 to 2. I then switched from the new hard drive to slot 1 and moved the boot disk(or original 320gb) to slot 2. I changed the startup disk to the new hard drive in disk 1 and then formatted the old hard drive. Very easy and quick.

3. siorai macrumors 6502

I did the exact same thing. Worked flawlessly. :)

4. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

excellent, thx for the quick reply. is carbon copy on the OS or a separate program i need to buy?

5. XianPalin macrumors 6502

6. MikeL macrumors 6502

CCC is a separate program.

Both going through the restore process and cloning the drive are easy options. There's nothing hard about either. Moving the drive from one bay to any other bay is completely unnecessary and without any benefit.

You'll have to format (partition) the drive with Disk Utility once you put it in the MP. Use a GUID partition map.

Then clone or reinstall. If you clone, be sure to set the startup disk to your new drive in System Preferences.

I think you'll be very pleased at how easy this all is.

7. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about replacing my HD in my Dell because its 4 yrs old and I wanted to continue to use it for gaming....but i'm not gonna even go into the process people were recommending for doing it on a PC. Complete and utter hell !!!

So, as the HD was being shipped, I changed my plans and i'll be picking the Mac Pro this weekend lol . If i could have copied it easier on my Dell it might allow me to wait on any new computer, but it would have been a nightmare !

8. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Would it be possible to take out the default 320 drive, replacit with a decent one put in the OSx install DVD turn it on hold down C and then install?