Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Hi folks,

I've been giving Mavericks a bit of a make over and am not sure how to proceed with the trash icon.

I have found a trash icon that I like and it's 128x128.

When I look in Dock Resources folder I have 8 png files for my trash and they are called:

trashempty.png
trashempty@x2.png
trashemptyreflection.png
trashemptyreflection@x2.png
trashfull.png
trashfull@x2.png
trashfullreflection.png
trashfullreflection@x2.png

As you all know the @x2 files are twice as big.

How do I now go about changing my trash icon? Which png files get replace?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
The @2x files are for retina displays. If you don't have retina just replace trashfull.png and trashempty.png. As for the reflection files, rename them to something like trashfullreflection_original.png and trashemptyreflection_original.png, otherwise your reflection won't look right.

If you do have a retina display, do the above but for the @2x files, keeping in mind they should be 256x256.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
The @2x files are for retina displays. If you don't have retina just replace trashfull.png and trashempty.png. As for the reflection files, rename them to something like trashfullreflection_original.png and trashemptyreflection_original.png, otherwise your reflection won't look right.

If you do have a retina display, do the above but for the @2x files, keeping in mind they should be 256x256.

Thanks! I don't have Retina :).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.