Question about chargers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PQTrojan, Aug 5, 2009.

1. PQTrojan macrumors newbie

Hi I bought a macbook pro 13" and I'm loving it. I was wondering if I can use the larger 85watt adapter that the 17" and 15" uses on the 13"? Also would it decrease charging time?

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you can...but i wouldn't.

the chargers maybe interchangeable but you shouldn't use them between the notebooks.

and it would not decrease charging time...

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This has been discussed many many many times.

You can use the 85W units without any harm on laptops that ship with the 65W units. Your charging times won't change.

If you go to your local Apple store, the 85W charger boxes even list MacBook Pro and MacBook as the compatible computers.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why not? Do you actually have anything to back this up, or are you just repeating something you read here that also wasn't based on facts?

It's fine to use an 85W adapter with a 60W machine; when you use the 85W adapter the output is only 60W, so it won't charge faster.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

actually it is because my house almost burnt down in a magsafe fire.

if you want pictures i can gladly give you some.

the fact is...when i was tAlking to engineering the said not to interchange the macbook wattages, even though it shouldn't matter(the laptop only consumes what it needs in wattage)...it can in some cases.

so.....how is that for you ?